Thursday, June 24, 2010

I create to live: Sandra Juto

I was really excited when Sandra Juto agreed to do an interview as she is hands down one of my most favourite artists and bloggers. I visit her blog daily as her eye for detail and photography is both impeccable and inspiring, and she is also super clever and witty. If you're not already following her I'd recommend you get to it! Thank you Sandra for sharing your thoughts with us here today!

Can you tell us a little bit about your background? The journey you took to be where you are and what you're doing at the moment?

As a child I wanted to become a fashion designer, I was crazy about watching fashion shows on TV. I made skirts out of old sheets for my sister and cousin. My mother taught me how to crochet and my grandmother taught me how to knit. I didn't like to be outdoors playing, I preferred to be at home making things. And it has always been like that. For a few years I stopped being creative because I didn't know I could actually work with it, to earn my living that way, so I studied many languages and thought of becoming a translator. Then one day I discovered Photoshop and started making websites - a couple of months later I started working as a web designer, this was in the late 1990's and it was easy to get jobs. The web made me bored and I wanted to learn more about graphic design so I studied that for several years and at the same time I started drawing again and discovered how fun illustration was, so I thought I should try freelancing as an illustrator and that's what I've been doing for a few years now. It's fun and at the moment I'm doing some freelance illustration and I crochet a lot, I cannot get enough.

Why do you create? What is it about being creative (in whatever sense) that makes it something important for you to do?

Why do I breathe? To live. I create to live and because I don't know what else I would do if I didn't do it. It's what keeps me going.

Where do you look for inspiration? Who or what inspires you?

In the city, in the forest, by the sea. I more and more search for inspiration in my surroundings rather than looking at other people's work.

I'm sure on the outside, creativity often seems like it always flows easily but I imagine this isn't always the case! Are there ever times when being expected to be creative for work or on demand feels overwhelming? How do you work through those feelings?

There is always a certain moment when I panic, when I think I'm not going to make it. For every job I do, this moment gets shorter. It helps to zoom out of myself look at myself and my situation from the distance where everything looks so smaller and easier.

What are the most rewarding and most difficult parts of your work as an artist and your creative life in general?

Most rewarding: When I'm feeling satisfied with the result and have had fun on my way there. Even better if my client is satisfied too. Most difficult: To believe in myself all the way, there is always a time of doubt.


If you weren't doing what you're doing now, what would you like to be doing?

I would like to run a café with my husband, but he says he wouldn't let me because if I'm pissed everyone sees it. So I'd better hide in my studio and just visit cafés instead ;)
blog comments powered by Disqus