Friday, August 14, 2009

Lemony Soda

It is no secret around these parts that lemon soda is weakness of mine. I've sampled all sorts, some too sweet, some not citrus-y enough, some with not quite the right ratio of lemon to lime or to soda. I must say that Limonata is by far my favourite. There is only a hint of sweetness, and is so perfectly sour and sharply fizzy. It's all I ever want when it is hot out, so imagine my excitement when Jeannette told me that she had made her own limonata. Um, sounds like perfection! I'd mused over making my own lemon soda of some sort before, but the call of San Pellegrino was too strong. It turns out it is incredibly easy, and truly does taste just like the soda! Because I don't like it too sweet there isn't much sugar involved, and the sugar that is used is agave nectar so all the better for us. Needless to say, I went out to grab some club soda and got straight to it. Now I'm totally hooked! If you are partial to a sour and citrus-y drop, then I highly recommend whipping up a glass or two!

Homemade Lemon Soda (h/t Jeannette)

- 1 glass club soda

- juice of one lemon

- 1 or 2 tablespoons of agave nectar to taste

Mix it all together and that's it! I found that the agave sinks to the bottom a bit, so its a good idea to give it a few stirs as you're drinking (and not keep adding more agave as I initially did), which probably means you'll have to buy some fun swizzle sticks to go with! Yum! (Also, as I've recently found out that the devil Nestle are the distributors of Limonata in North America, which is such a bummer and makes me want to steer clear of it, although I will confess that I had it this morning at breakfast with Diandra...)

Oh, and that would be cherry pie up in the corner of the shot. Such a perfect combo!

I hope you're all gearing up for a lovely weekend, we're going to be busy over here! Lots of orders to fill, products to photograph, bags to be sewn, and the like. It's the last few days of the Home Sweet Home housewares market over at Poppytalk (be sure to check it out before it finishes, there are so many lovely things), but as we have loved it so much we'll be staying on for the Back To School one which starts Monday.

Happy weekend sweets, I'm off to cut up burlap sacks!

xo

5 comments:

natalie said...

I used to make this a lot, but I've kinda fogotten about it. Thanks for the reminder, it's such a refreshing drink! Love your pictures!

Anonymous said...

That looks soo delicious! I love the fizzy taste of soda in my mouth! I should try this!Those cups are so cute and summery! The cherry pie and lemons looks so cute and delicious!

mon ami said...

thanks for the recipe, I love lemon soda. This recipe reminds me of when I was in India where I would buy a bottle of soda water and it would come with a little lime to squeeze in and a pinch of salt and sugar to flavour it the way I liked.

I'm off to buy lemons tomorrow....

Shokoofeh said...

this seems great! I'm going to make me some! :)

mine... and now yours. said...

stop it. gah.