Friday, March 20, 2009


I've always loved the carrot & parsnip combo, mashed together as part of our meat & three veg. Yum. So the other night when we had an abundance of both, plus potato and leek (another delicious combo, especially in soup) I saw the perfect soup opportunity. It was totally made up, and also involved cumin, coriander and a healthy dose of coconut. Oh goodness, so so good. Those flavours are perfect together, and I love the way the sweetness of the carrot and coconut compliment the onion-y leek. I'm going to rework it a little, I'd love to try it with coconut milk this time, and then actually record the recipe to share with you all.

Of course, biscuits are a must too, as with any soup or stew. For now, here is my go to recipe for those...

2 cups sifted flour

2 tsp. baking powder

4 tablespoons butter or shortening

1/2 tsp. salt

3/4 cup milk

Sift Flour once, measure, add baking powder and salt, and sift again. Cut in shortening or butter. (this is where I use my hands by rubbing the butter into the flour). Add milk gradually, stirring until soft dough is formed. Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly "knead" for 30 seconds, enough to shape. Roll 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter. Bake on ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for 12-15 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits. You can also make tiny tea biscuits that are only 1 1/2 inches wide with a small cutter or glass bottom. These are great served with tea, jam or honey. Makes 24

Taken from Old Fashioned Living.

1 comments:

kerri said...

your life and mine are scarily mirrored . . we have been having potato and leek soup this week . . .my boy's own making up. i love your veg photo! xx