Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Salt Spring Island











stormy seas before we left::the sun coming out::pentax spotmatic::fluffy flowers

sunrise in ganges harbour::birthday pancakes::fireside winter ale

We're home! We had such a lovely time over at Salt Spring. From the ferry ride over, through the Gulf Islands, everything was so beautiful, green and untouched with little cabins dotting the shorelines. We left Vancouver with it pouring down rain and super stormy seas but the sun came out about half way through the journey and it was just spectacular. Such an incredible place we live.

It's amazing how just leaving the city, despite being still quite close to it geographically, can make you feel like you've travelled miles into your own little private getaway. We stayed right next to a nature reserve, over looking the harbour in a wee cottage with a wood burning stove. There was a track down to a pebbly beach where we got to see otters snacking on crabs (I was SO excited, I don't think I've ever ran so fast up scary mossy stairs to get my camera, I'm surprised they weren't scared away by my wheezing) and search for shells. We took walks, and everything smelled like woodsmoke and damp leaves. Seriously, so good.

Sadly I totally forgot to put the memory card back in our camera, such a bummer. I did get to take a few shots using the internal memory and if I can ever figure out how you get them out again I'll let you guys see. Thankfully I had my trusty iPhone to document some of our trip. I also took a bunch of film for the first time in ages, and man it felt good.

I hope all your weekends were lovely!

blog comments powered by Disqus